Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Hanging in Austin, TX

We went to Sea World last fall when Cody had a teacher conference in San Antonio.  I got a full year pass for cheap since it was off season and Harper got in free.  We decided to go back and use the pass again since I would go free, Harper would still be free, and Cody could get in free as a teacher.  It was awesome.  We drove down to Austin for the day and spent time with Eric before heading to the Lulfs who were putting us up at night.  

Harper did great in the car.  She technically rode 5 hours down, plus 3 hours each day to and from Sea World, and then 6 hours home.  She never complained, she played so well, and she didn't have any accidents.  She got to watch a few movies, play games, and listen to music, which kept her very happy.

We got to Austin just in time for lunch at our favorite place.  It stinks we only get to eat subs a few times a year, but it makes them really good when we do.  Harper acted really shy at first around Eric, but he ended up winning her over with a snow cone and the play ground.  It was ridiculously hot but people in Austin seemed to be used to being outside in hot weather, so we just went with it.

Eric recently catered for the opening of this new kids science museum called the Thinkery.  He got us in free by flashing his smile and Short Bus Subs owner card.  It was so cool - something Harper has never been to and loved every minute.  They had a building area with blocks and magnets; a air station where you could build and launch your own paper airplane; a light room and a water room.  Eric helped her go from station to station and figure out what all to do.  At one point she was climbing on something and Eric was laughing and egging her on (it wasn't dangerous and seemed like a natural place to crawl up) but the 14 year old worker had to ask us to get her down.  Eric and authority, even 14 year old authority, do not get along.  It was hilarious!  After the inside part, she got to climb around on the outdoor play area that was a tower made of ropes.  She had such a good time and I am so glad we went!

After the museum, Eric grabbed some bread and we fed the ducks.  It was cooling off because some rain was coming and it was the perfect weather outside.  We stood out there and just watched all the ducks and fish and turtles - there were a ton and they were huge!  

It was about mid afternoon and Eric was hungry for lunch so we went to Phil's Ice House and ate.  It has a playground outside so Harper got to play while we ate and watched the World Cup.  Such a smart idea!  She played for almost 2 hours, stopping for a little bit to have some Amy's Ice Cream and take some pictures on the cows with Uncle E.   After that, we headed to Dripping Springs to have dinner with the Lulfs and spend the night.

We got to spend a lot of time with the Lulfs and I am so thankful for that.  Erin was in town for summer break and it was so good to catch up.  The past few times we have been to Austin she has been away at college.  Tim had a new job and was doing sales calls up in Dallas so we didn't actually get to see him.  But it was a great visit.  We got up in the mornings and had coffee and breakfast and then headed to Sea World.  Then, we would come back after Sea World and have dinner and talk all night long.  It was such a good trip - I'm sure we could have talked for days more!  On the second night, Eric, Dane, and Mya came over for dinner.  They got to catch up too and it was so nice to all just sit around and relax and chat.  Harper loved Hudson, their new dog.  He is a golden-doodle and he comes up to my waist (on all fours).  She liked feeding him and taking him out and throwing bones to him.  She also loved Tina and Erin.  They laughed at everything she did and said.  They especially liked her booty shake, which she did for each and every person.  She even gave Hudson a booty shake goodbye.  

On Thursday evening, after our second day of Sea World, we headed home.  We had seen construction signs all along 35 and suddenly it all hit.  They were closing parts of the highway in a few different locations and people were sitting in miles of stopped traffic.  I would have been so mad if that was us!  I actually felt really bad for those people.  It happened near Austin, Waco, and Dallas. 

We also stopped at Buc-cee's for the first time.  It was ridiculous.  I'm guessing like 100 gas pumps and about the size of a grocery store.  It had an entire wall, floor to ceiling, of candy and slushy machines at the end of each aisle.  Harper picked some gummy worms, which she didn't love, and Cody got some candied jalepenos, which he loved.  Somehow I ate the entire bag of gummy worms on the way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment